- March 26, 2023
Mobile wallet GCash can now be used abroad with international SIM cards after it secured the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas’ (BSP) approval to launch the service. This makes the fintech app the first and only e-wallet in the country to do so.
BSP approved the beta launch of GCash Overseas, which allows Filipinos in Japan, Australia, and Italy to sign up for GCash even without a Philippine SIM.
“We continue to make a difference in Filipinos’ lives by making financial services easier and more accessible to our now 76 million-strong registered users. With around 10 million Filipinos living abroad, we want them to also be able to take advantage of GCash services even as they use international SIMs,” said Martha Sazon, GCash president and CEO.
Under the beta launch, only the first 1,000 users from Japan, Australia, and Italy can access GCash with an international SIM card. Once they’re fully verified, Filipinos overseas regardless of their SIM card can begin signing up for GCash and support their families back home by sending money for free (GCash-to-GCash), paying for bills on time, and instantly buying them load credits with just a few taps on the app.
The beta mode will run for a limited time only and the full launch is expected later this year.
How to register
- Download the GCash app via the Play Store or App Store.
- Launch the GCash app, choose your country of residence, and key in the international mobile number. The country code must match your location of residence.
- Key in the 6-digit OTP for number verification.
- The required fields for personal details must be filled out. Only Filipinos are allowed to sign up at this time.
- Once details are confirmed, select Continue.
- A 4-digit MPIN will be confirmed prior to submitting.
- Once registration is successful, a confirmation pop-up screen will be displayed and you can select Proceed to Login.
GCash has also been doubling down on its international expansion thanks to its partnership with global payments platform, Alipay+. Aside from GCash Overseas, GCash can now be used to pay in select merchants across countries like Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, and Qatar as well as top European destinations like the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Italy.